Sunday, March 16, 2008

Local Tourist

Today I went to West Seattle with Emie. West Seattle is strange. It's connected to the mainland but the Duwamish Ship Canal divides it from SoDo and effectively the rest of the city. Similar to Michigan's anatomical representation of the right hand, West Seattle resembles the thumb of your left hand, with Downtown Seattle just below your index finger. From points east, West Seattle is only connected to the city by the Spokane Street Bridge (or West Seattle Bridge) and is surrounded by the Puget Sound to the north and west. It's difficult to reach if you don't have a car, but I found out today the No. 11 bus that runs past my apartment connects to West Seattle. I've stressed the isolation of the neighborhood enough. I take great pleasure in exploring the unique neighborhoods of my adopted town.

No comments: